Japan is a popular holiday destination, with many people hoping to one day live there permanently. People love to explore the rich and diverse culture of this country.
No matter the reason for your visit, it’s a good idea to know how long your flight will be. After all, you will need to keep yourself busy during a long-haul flight, regardless of whether you do that by reading a book, taking a nap, or watching a movie (see also, ‘Do You Read Japanese Left to Right?’).
If you wish to fly from New York to Japan, it will take approximately 14 hours. However, this time will vary depending on what airports you depart from and arrive at, as well as which airline you fly with. So let’s take a deeper look at the flight from New York to Japan!
How Long Is A Flight From New York To Japan?
When traveling from New York to Japan, you should expect the flight to take roughly 14 hours. But this time will change slightly depending on where exactly you are flying from and where you are flying to.
Airports In New York
In New York, there are 3 major airports. These are:
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK): One of the most popular destinations for airplanes leaving this airport is the Tokyo International Airport. Having been around since 1948, the JFK airport is one of the most widely used airports in the country. It’s found within the Queen borough of New York.
- Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR): In between Newark and Elizabeth, the EWR airport was first opened in 1928. Consequently, it is considered to be America’s oldest commercial airport.
- LaGuardia Airport (LGA): This airport is mainly concerned with domestic travel or nearby locations, such as Canada. Thus, it has fewer flights for traveling to Japan than the other two airports.
There are also some lesser-known airports in New York. However, these tend to be used by far fewer passengers and, therefore, tend to fly to fewer destinations. These smaller commercial airports include Long Island MacArthur Airport and Westchester County Airport.
Of the three airports, the John F. Kennedy International Airport is your best bet for getting to Japan, since there are so many flights leaving this airport. Going from this airport to Tokyo should take about 14 hours and 5 minutes.
However, if your flight stops to add more passengers, this can add to the time it takes to arrive in Japan. Often, it will take closer to 16 hours when a plane stops on route.
Airports In Japan
Japan is a substantial country, spanning 377,973.89 km2. As you can imagine, a country of this size has numerous airports. So the length of the journey from New York to Japan will depend on which airport you are arriving at.
The further away the airport from New York, the longer the flight will be. However, this is often a matter of minutes, so it won’t make too much difference whether you are arriving in the northeast or southwest of Japan.
Some of the largest airports in Japan include:
- Tokyo International Airport: As suggested by the name, this airport is found in Tokyo, namely the Kanto region. It is considered the fourth busiest airport in the world in terms of the number of passengers. Therefore, if you are flying to Japan, this is the airport that you are most likely to use.
- Narita International Airport: This is another airport in Tokyo. Though it may not be as large as the Tokyo International Airport, the Narita airport nonetheless supports loads of passengers. Therefore, this could be the airport where you land.
- Kansai International Airport: Designed to serve Osaka city (see also ‘Best Hotels In Osaka‘), this airport resides within the Kansai region.
Of course, these are just 3 examples of Japanese airports. There are many more to choose from. Regardless of which airport you opt for, the journey should be close to 14 hours, though you will arrive in some slightly sooner than others.
Tips For Traveling To Japan
Now that you know that you will be stuck in the airplane for a while when traveling from New York to Japan, here are some suggestions to help make your journey as stress-free as possible:
- Plan when you want to travel to Japan. One of the most popular times to visit Japan is when the cherry blossom trees bloom, which tends to be between March and May.
- Remember to put comfortable shoes on. This will help both during the flight and when traveling through Japan.
- Consider packing a travel pillow and earplugs so that you can get some peace during the long flight.
- Face masks are popularly worn in Japan, so you may want to buy some for yourself.
- Remember to exchange some of your cash for the Japanese yen (¥). You may struggle to find an ATM in Japan, so having some cash on hand is always useful.
- Though tipping is a major part of American culture, it is not necessary for Japan. Many servers may find it rude if you attempt to tip them, so it is best to refrain from doing this.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are 10 Days Enough For A Vacation To Japan?
Yes, this should be enough time to engage in multiple cultural activities within Japan. Just make sure that you plan your activities so that you can fit in everything that you want to do!
When Is The Cheapest Time Of Year To Fly To Japan?
If you are looking for a cheap flight to Japan, you should opt for one of the cheaper periods. Though this can vary, November, January, and March are some of the cheapest times to fly there. Just bear in mind that these times are often considered less desirable, hence their affordability.
The flight from New York to Japan can be long. But the good news is that this journey is worth it. Japan is a beautiful country with plenty of things to do. So no matter how long it takes you, you’ll likely be glad when you arrive!
- Sake VS Tequila: Which Is Stronger? - April 17, 2023
- How Many Calories Are In Sake? - April 14, 2023
- Why Sake Is Served In Small Cups? The Real Reason - April 14, 2023