Ramen is an iconic dish typically eaten across Asia, most commonly in Japan. However, thanks to its popularity, we can now eat ramen all over the world. In America, ramen is a hugely popular instant meal that takes very little time to make.
However, we don’t always have the time to make the best ramen after a long day at work. Don’t worry though, all is not lost, as we can actually make some pretty epic ramen recipes in the microwave.
The fact you’ve landed here would suggest you want to learn how to do so. If this is the case, you’re in the right place. In this guide, we’re going to tell you everything you need to know about making ramen in the microwave.
We’ll tell you more about the dish and show you three super simple ways to make ramen in the microwave. Let’s get started!
What Is Ramen?
Before we go any further, let’s take a closer look at what ramen is. Ramen is a popular Japanese noodle dish that consists of Chinese-style wheat noodles, a flavorful broth, and a variety of different toppings.
More often than not, ramen broth is made using soy sauce and miso. Typical toppings include pork, chicken, egg, scallions, nori, and menma. Ramen is a relatively easy dish to make but we don’t always have time to make it from scratch. That’s where instant ramen comes in.
Instant ramen or noodles are a type of food that’s sold pre-cooked and dried. All we have to do is season the noodles and heat them up. One of the greatest things about this type of ramen is its versatility.
We can serve it with a wide range of toppings and broths or simply eat it how it comes.
Can You Make Ramen In The Microwave?
Despite what some people believe, you can make ramen in the microwave. In fact, making ramen in the microwave is one of the best options we have. In a matter of minutes, we can make a delicious cup or bowl of ramen with little to no fuss.
As far as safety is concerned, once again, there’s nothing wrong with making ramen in a microwave. All you have to do is make sure the noodles are cooked and prepared to your liking.
Why Would You Microwave Ramen?
So, why on earth would you want to make ramen in the microwave? Well, the answer to that question would have to be why wouldn’t you want to make ramen in the microwave?
The main reason people choose to make ramen in the microwave is time. Making ramen from scratch takes a lot longer than simply throwing it in the microwave. We can cut the cooking time down to almost 2 minutes.
Another reason people like to make ramen in the microwave is that we can create our own flavor. You don’t have to use the seasoning sachet provided. Instead, we can easily create a flavor profile we like more.
How To Make Ramen In The Microwave
Now you know more about microwaving ramen, we’re going to show you three different ways to do it. For all three methods we’re going to look at, the only ingredients you need are your ramen, water, and any seasonings you want to add.
Method 1 – The Basic Way To Make Ramen In A Microwave
This first method is the easiest method you can use to make ramen in a microwave. All you need to make it is your noodles and water. Follow the steps below to get it right!
- Start by removing your noodles from the ramen packet. You can break them up into smaller noodles if you want but full-size noodles are fine.
- Place your noodles in a microwave-safe bowl and cover them with water. We recommend using 1 or 2 cups of water. This will depend on the size of your bowl though. To prevent any mess, you might also want to cover the bowl.
- Turn the microwave on and heat your noodles for 3 to 5 minutes. To prevent over-stewing, stop the microwave and stir the ramen after 2 minutes.
- You can now turn your microwave off and let the ramen sit for 3 minutes. This will give the noodles time to cool a bit so that you don’t burn your tongue.
- Finally, mix in the seasoning sachet and enjoy your noodles. Alternatively, add your own seasoning.
Method 2 – Boiling The Water First
This second method shows you how to make ramen in the microwave by first boiling the water separately. This is a great way to make ramen noodles that have a firmer texture.
- Measure how much water you want. The more water you use, the more broth you have. We recommend 1 or 2 cups.
- In the microwave, heat your water for 2 to 3 minutes. The water might not look hot but it is so be careful. Take it out of the microwave when you think it’s hot enough.
- Place your noodles in a separate bowl and add the seasoning sachet.
- Now, pour the water over your ramen noodles and cover the bowl. After letting the noodles sit for 3 to 5 minutes, they will be ready to enjoy.
Method 3 – Getting Fancy
This final method shows you how to take microwaved noodles to the next level by adding other flavors and condiments. Once again, follow the steps below to make the best noodles.
- Remove your noodles from the packet and place them in a bowl with 1 to 2 cups of water.
- Heat the noodles in your microwave for 3 to 5 minutes. Again, prevent over-stewing by stirring the ramen halfway through.
- Turn off the microwave and let the ramen sit for 3 minutes. This will give the noodles time to cool a bit so that you don’t burn your tongue.
- Finally, instead of adding the sachet, mix in your favorite herbs, spices, meats, and vegetables. Some of the things you can add include
- Miso paste
- Rice vinegar
- Hoisin sauce
- Lemon juice
- Soy sauce
- Green onions
In this guide, we’ve shown you three easy ways to make ramen in the microwave. It doesn’t matter how you like your ramen noodles, you can use a method from this guide to quickly whip up a tasty dish in a matter of minutes.
Now you have these methods to go off, all you have to do is decide which one you want to use and give it a try. We know you won’t regret whichever method you go with.